Reports and Research Into AOD Issues
Reports and research on alcohol and other drug issues.
Alcohol and other Drug Trends and Statistics
- Australia’s Annual Overdose Report 2020 - Penington Institute
- Alcohol Overview - Reports and Data - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW)
- Australian illicit drug policy timeline 1985-2019 - Drug Policy Modelling Program, UNSW and Centre for Crime Policy and Research, Flinders University
- Alcohol, tobacco & other drugs in Australia - Australian Institute of Health & Welfare (AIHW)
- Alcohol and other drug treatment services in Australia 2017–18: key findings - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Services (AODTS) in Australia 2016-17 - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Alcohol and other drug treatment services in Australia 2016–17: key findings - Australian Institute for Health and Welfare
- Cryptomarket drug listings by drug type and market - online interactive visualisation - Drugs and New Technologies (DNeT) Project - NDARC UNSW
- Drug use monitoring in Australia: Drug use among police detainees, 2018 - Australian Institute of Criminology - December 2019Illicit Drug Data Report 2018-2019 - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
- Findings from the 2019 Snapshot Survey - Alcohol and Methamphetamine Harm in Emergency Departments - Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
- GDS2020 Key Findings Report - Global Drug Survey - 9th Annual Report
- Illicit Use of Drugs Overview - Reports and Data - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Impacts of COVID-19 and associated restrictions on people who use illicit stimulants in Australia: Findings from the Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System 2020 - Drug Trends, UNSW
- National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program Report 5, 2018 - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
- National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program Reports - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
- Smoking Overview - Reports and Data - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW)
- WA Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) Report - covers findings from annual interviews in Perth with people who regularly inject drugs.
- Western Australian Drug Trends 2020: Key Findings from the Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) Interviews - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), UNSW
- Drug Trends Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at UNSW.
- Drug Trends Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at UNSW.
- Opioid, amphetamine, and cocaine-induced deaths in Australia: August 2018 - Drug Trends - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- National 2019 Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) - Drug Trends
- Trends in drug-induced deaths in Australia, 1997-2017 - Drug Trends, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Drug Trends Illicit Drug Reporting System 2019 Interview Report - Western Australia - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Drug Trends - Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System - 2019 EDRS Interview Report - Western Australia - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Illicit Drug Data Report 2017–18 (IDDR) - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) - provides an overview of changes, as well as longer term trends.
- Report on the 2nd ACT GTM Pill Testing Pilot: a Harm Reduction Service - Pill Testing Australia - August 2019
- Trends in drug-induced-deaths in Australia, 1997-2019 - Drug Trends Bulletin - Agata Chrzanowska and others
COVID-19 and Alcohol and other Drugs
- Alcohol retail during COVID-19 Report - FARE Australia - February 2021
- Alcohol and the Coronavirus Pandemic - alcohol fuels the coronavirus pandemic in different ways according to a new international report by researchers including Australia's Tanya Chikritzhs.
- COVID-19 vaccination among people who inject drugs: Leaving no one behind - Jenny Iversen and others in Drug and Alcohol Review
- GDS COVID-19 Special Edition: Key Findings Report - Global Drug Survey
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the non-government alcohol and other drug sector: future implications - Drug Policy Modelling Program, University of New South Wales - research conducted in NSW, ACT and Tasmania.
- Western Australian Drug Trends 2020: Key Findings from the Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) Interviews - Foundation for Alcohol and Research and Education (FARE) and Cancer Council WA - May 2020
- "The 'Instagrammability' of Pink Drinks" How alcohol is marketed to women in Australia - Alcohol Programs Team, Public Health Advocacy Institute of WA, Curtin University - November 2019.
- Harm to others from drinking: patterns in nine societies - World Health Organization, 2019
- 2019 Alcohol Poll - the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education's poll finds that less than half of Australians are aware of the link between alcohol use and mouth and throat cancer (29%) and breast cancer (16%).
- Alcohol Advertising Review Board (AARB) 2018-2019 Impact Report
- Cities of Armadale, Canning and Gosnells Alcohol Action Plan 2019-2022
- 2018 Alcohol Poll - Dangerous cocktail: Aussies uninformed and misled on alcohol-related cancer & disease links - Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) - March 2018.
- Esports and Alcohol Advertising Research Report - Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE)
- Impossible to escape: The need for stronger restrictions on the placement of alcohol marketing in Australia - Alcohol Advertising Review Board - May 2019
- Apparent Consumption of Alcohol, Australia, 2017-18 - Australian Bureau of Statistics - September 2019
- Meet the alcohol researchers featured in On the Sauce - Centre for Alcohol Policy and Research (CAPR)
- The Case for a Minimum (Floor) Pricing of Alcohol in WA - WA Alcohol and Youth Action Coalition
- WHO - Global status report on alcohol and health 2018
Ecstasy - MDMA
- Recent use of ‘capsules contents unknown’ among a sample of people who frequently use ecstasy and other illicit stimulants in Australia. Kelly, G., Bruno, R., & Peacock, A. (2019).
- National 2019 Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) - Drug Trends
- Correlates of self-reported significant adverse effects following ‘ecstasy’ use: Implications for harm reduction - Drug Trends Bulletin, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Inquiry into Crystal Methamphetamine (Ice) - Australian Parliamentary Joint Committee on Law Enforcement - March 2018
- Review of methamphetamine use among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
- Trends in treatment episodes for methamphetamine smoking and injecting in Australia, 2003–2019 - Rebecca McKetin and others in Drug and Alcohol Review
- The rise of prescription opioids and the promise of medicinal cannabis - 2019 Turning Point Symposium and Oration
- Reviewing six years of a peer-driven naloxone training program in Western Australia. Fetherston, J., Grigg, J., & Lenton, S. (2019).
- National opioid pharmacotherapy statistics annual data (NOPSAD) 2017 - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Opioid harm in Australia: and comparisons between Australia and Canada - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare - 9 November 2018.
- Understanding the impediments to uptake and diffusion of take-home naloxone in Australia: Summary report of project publications and recommendations - Adrian Farrugia, La Trobe University, and others.
Complexity and Capacity Building
- Close to home: young people and the impact of alcohol and drug use by family and peers - Mission Australia - August 2019
- Staying Home: A Youth Survey report on young people's experience of homelessness - Mission Australia
- The State of Homelessness in Australia's Cities - Centre for Social Impact - University of Western Australia - April 2018
- Wellbeing and Healing Through Connection and Culture Report - Lifeline Australia / Centre of Best Practice in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention
Equity, Diversity and Human Rights
- 2020 Australian Reconciliation Barometer - Reconciliation Australia
- 2020 Youth Survey Report and Infographic - Mission Australia
- Wiyi Yani U Thangani (Women’s Voices) Report and Community Guide - Australian Human Rights Commission
- Drug Decriminalisation: Progress or Political Red Herring? Report - International Network of People who Use Drugs (INPUD)
- Decline in hepatitis C treatment uptake could threaten Australia’s elimination targets - The Kirby Institute.
- Missing Connections: Service user experiences of people living with hepatitis C exiting custodial settings - AIVL - July 2019
- Missing Connections: Service user experiences of people living with hepatitis C exiting custodial settings - AIVL, July 2019
- Monitoring hepatitis C treatment uptake in Australia Issue 10, June 2019 - Kirby Institute - this report summarises data on the prescription and distribution of hepatitis C treatments and provides insight into the initial phase of the roll-out of DAA therapy in Australia.
- Monitoring hepatitis C treatment uptake in Australia Issue 9, July 2018 - The Kirby Institute.
- Closing the Gap Report 2020 - Australian Government
- pdf Investing In Women's Health (942 KB) - Women's Community Health Network WA.
- Jean Hailes National Women’s Health Survey Results - Jean Hailes for Women's Health
- Joining the dots: 2018 census of the Australian health justice landscape - Health Justice Australia
- Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health status 2020 - Health Facts - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
- Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health status 2019 - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
- Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health status 2018 - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet. Supporting resources include a plain-language summary and Powerpoint presentations that can be used as a teaching resource.
- WA Men’s Health and Wellbeing Policy: 12 Month Check-Up Report - WA Department of
Stigma and Discrimination
- Don’t judge, and listen: experiences of stigma and discrimination related to problematic alcohol and other drug use - Queensland Mental Health Commission
Sector and Workforce Planning
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network - April 2018
- Lowitja Institute Career Pathways Project Report and Infographic - provides insights and guidance to enhance the capacity of the health system to retain and support the development and careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Exploring the place of alcohol and other drug services in the mental health system - a new report by 360Edge makes the case for a collaborative but separate alcohol and other drug and mental health sector.
- WA Not-for-profit Landscape 2020 Report - Not-for-profits UWA Research Group
WANADA alerts the alcohol and other drug sector to new resources and reports in our e-newsletter FYI.