Workforce development and training opportunities for people working in the alcohol and other drug sector in Western Australia.
Upcoming Training and Workforce Development Opportunities
NDRI - Practical advice for smoking cessation in drug and alcohol service settings
A free public seminar with
Associate Professor Renee Bittoun, University of Notre Dame Australia
Friday 10 May 2019
1pm - 2pm
Technology Park, Building 603, Level 2 Seminar Room (Room 213), Sarich Way, Bentley, WA (Map)
Though it has become mandatory for public health facilities to become smoke-free, it has been difficult to implement this policy. Often in-patients in detox units object to a smoke-free environment, commonly flout regulations, are argumentative and self-discharge. This leaves staff in conflict with patients, the regulations, their duty of care and the management of patients according to the policy. A protocol will be presented that better educates both staff and patients in the management of nicotine addiction, incorporating it within drug and alcohol services to have a completely smoke-free facility with better outcomes for patients.
A/Prof Renee Bittoun is an internationally recognised expert in smoking cessation. She has worked in the field for more than 30 years and is an inaugural member of the international SRNT (international Society for Research in Nicotine and Tobacco). She started one of the world’s first Smokers’ Clinics in Sydney, Australia in 1979 at St. Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney. She is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of the international peer-reviewed Journal of Smoking Cessation, published by Cambridge University Press. She is a clinical consultant to national and state health facilities, hospitals and indigenous health groups. She was recently a Visiting Professor at the Sorbonne University, Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France.
Injury Matters - Know Injury Webinar - Safety and Crime: Perceptions vs Reality
Presentation by Dr Joe Clare, Assistant Professor and Senior Lecturer of Criminology UWA
Wednesday 22 May 2019
10.30am - 11.30am
Do you want to learn more about community safety and the perception of public safety vs the reality? Joe has worked in Australia and Canada and is committed to helping applied practitioners utilize theory, research, and analysis to enhance the understanding of problems they are encountering with a view to developing, implementing, and evaluating novel, creative intervention strategies. His research focuses on using available data to contribute to solving applied problems.
Womens Health & Family Services - Trauma Informed Practice and Alcohol and Other Drug Use
Facilitator: Fiona Reid, Womens Health & Family Services
Thursday 6 June 2019
8.30am - 5pm
Joondalup Lotteries House Suite 6, 70 Davidson Terrace, Joondalup
Cost: $190 - non-members; $152 - members
The package includes a copy of the manual “Trauma-Informed Treatment Guide for Working with Women with Alcohol and Other Drug Issues” (3rd ed, 2017) by A.Marsh, T.Towers & S.O’Toole (valued at $66).
This event is designed for health professionals and staff in a support, advocacy or counselling role, who are working with people who have experienced trauma and are using alcohol and other drugs. The facilitator will lead an engaging, interactive group training session with a key focus on strategies you can use with your clients. Fiona is a Masters qualified Family Therapist (M.So.Sc) and has worked in the area of addictions, co-morbidity and trauma with families for over 15 years.
To Book: https://www.trybooking.com/BBDZQ
Training and Workforce Development Providers
- Anglicare WA - Professional Development Training - draws on more than 40 years’ experience as a leading service provider in the social services sector to develop and deliver quality training and professional development workshops to a range of audiences; from administration and teaching aids, to community service workers and psychologist through to lawyers and corporate groups.
- Cracks in the Ice - This online training provides frontline workers, including peer workers, alcohol and other drug workers and clinicians, with information and resources about ice (crystal methamphetamine).
- Emerging Minds: National Workforce Centre for Child Mental Health - free training and information.
- Evolve Events - Training and Human Development - Along with their training services, they offer a complete event management service.
- Holyoake - DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training - Holyoake is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training to community and youth workers.
- Karen Hulls - Complex Trauma Training WA - deliver a range of comprehensive training programs for workers and carers who work with children, youth, adults and families who have experienced complex trauma.
- Mental Health Commission - AODtraining@MHC - provides a range of knowledge and skills-based training events on alcohol and other drugs and comorbidity. Events are free-of-charge and include induction training for new workers.
- Mental Health Commission - E-learning@MHC - online learning programs aimed at professionals employed in the AOD sector and other professional staff working to prevent AOD-related harm.
- National Comorbidity Guidelines Online Training - free, online training developed by by The Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use and funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Completion will take approximately 10 hours.
- Relationships Australia WA - Professional Development - provides training for family and community support professionals to develop specialist relationship counselling, mediation and management skills. Training is provided from basic to advanced professional competency levels.
- Richmond Wellbeing - courses&events - provide specialist, evidence-based training in Recovery-oriented approaches and practice, corporate training courses and a number of community and cultural events within supportive and inclusive environments.
- SMART Recovery Program Training - SMART Recovery Australia offers training in the SMART Recovery behavioural change and addiction treatment program and how to run a SMART meeting in the community or your organisation.
- Sexual Assault and Resource Centre (SARC) - provides quality, evidence based education and training opportunities on issues related to sexual assault and sexual abuse to professional workers, students and volunteers.
- The Western Australian Association for Mental Health (WAAMH) - offers a range of courses targeted to meet specific needs of the mental health workforce, enhance the skill development of roles which relate to mental health, and educate the wider community.
- William Street Family Therapy Centre - provides family and relationship professionals with high quality hands-on training courses, workshops and supervision.
- WISDOM in Your Life – Psychological and Aboriginal ways - provides training for mental health professionals.
- Womens Health and Family Services - Training for Health Professionals - WHFS presentations, seminars, workshops and training sessions can be tailored to specific group interests and budgets. In addition WHFS offers a professional supervision and consultancy service for individual, group and organisational issues concerning women and families.
- pdf Comprehensive Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development in Western Australia - Full Report (2.71 MB) - WANADA
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network
WANADA provides information about training and workforce development through our e-newsletter FYI.