Workforce development and training opportunities for people working in the alcohol and other drug sector in Western Australia.
Upcoming Training and Workforce Development Opportunities
NDRI Webinar - Kava Use in Australia
Tuesday 25 June 2019
Access the kava use webinar here.
- an overview of kava and how it is traditionally used in the Pacific as well as in Australia
- a brief discussion on the effects of kava on individual and community level health
- an overview of the research regarding the use of kava in Aboriginal communities and its effects
- a discussion of the policy challenges associated with managing kava
Dr Butt is a Senior Research Fellow at NDRI and a practicing clinical psychologist. Dr Butt has worked in First Nations drug and alcohol research and clinical practice for the past 15 years, focussing on community driven research. She undertook a review of kava use in Australia for the Federal Government in 2011 and recently completed a kava review for the Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet.
Recovery College WA - An Evening with Dr Rachel Perkins
Wednesday 26 June 2019
5pm - 7pm
HelpingMinds, 182 Lord Street, Perth WA 6000
Dr Rachel Perkins has written and spoken widely about social inclusion and participation for people with mental health conditions and has pioneered the UK development of programmes to help people with mental health difficulties to access employment and education based on the 'Individual Placement with Support' approach, including one designed to increase employment opportunities within mental health services for people who have themselves experienced mental health problems.
This event is a great professional development opportunity, not only for those with a lived experience, but for all Support Group members.
The Recovery College aims to bring together individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities in a safe and welcoming learning environment to share experiences, support personal recovery, promote social and emotional wellbeing and physical health. This will be an opportunity to hear from Dr Rachel Perkins and to meet the Recovery College Board of Directors.
To register, please visit An Evening with Dr Rachel Perkins at Eventbrite.
WHFS - Self-Work
Thursday 25 July 2019
Womens Health & Family Services
227 Newcastle St, Northbridge WA 6003
The Self-Work workshop is based on Briere's Self-Trauma model and gives experience using several useful tools to consider when working with survivors of childhood trauma. Self-Work is an essential part of healing and uses writing, art, dialoguing and creative activities.
To book, please visit: www.trybooking.com/BBFIW
Training and Workforce Development Providers
- Anglicare WA - Professional Development Training - draws on more than 40 years’ experience as a leading service provider in the social services sector to develop and deliver quality training and professional development workshops to a range of audiences; from administration and teaching aids, to community service workers and psychologist through to lawyers and corporate groups.
- Cracks in the Ice - This online training provides frontline workers, including peer workers, alcohol and other drug workers and clinicians, with information and resources about ice (crystal methamphetamine).
- Emerging Minds: National Workforce Centre for Child Mental Health - free training and information.
- Evolve Events - Training and Human Development - Along with their training services, they offer a complete event management service.
- Holyoake - DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training - Holyoake is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training to community and youth workers.
- Karen Hulls - Complex Trauma Training WA - deliver a range of comprehensive training programs for workers and carers who work with children, youth, adults and families who have experienced complex trauma.
- Mental Health Commission - AODtraining@MHC - provides a range of knowledge and skills-based training events on alcohol and other drugs and comorbidity. Events are free-of-charge and include induction training for new workers.
- Mental Health Commission - E-learning@MHC - online learning programs aimed at professionals employed in the AOD sector and other professional staff working to prevent AOD-related harm.
- National Comorbidity Guidelines Online Training - free, online training developed by by The Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use and funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Completion will take approximately 10 hours.
- Relationships Australia WA - Professional Development - provides training for family and community support professionals to develop specialist relationship counselling, mediation and management skills. Training is provided from basic to advanced professional competency levels.
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Assault - Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) in Western Australia e-learning package.
- Richmond Wellbeing - courses&events - provide specialist, evidence-based training in Recovery-oriented approaches and practice, corporate training courses and a number of community and cultural events within supportive and inclusive environments.
- SAFE in Oz - run workshops on working with people impacted by self-destructive behaviours.
- SMART Recovery Program Training - SMART Recovery Australia offers training in the SMART Recovery behavioural change and addiction treatment program and how to run a SMART meeting in the community or your organisation.
- Sexual Assault and Resource Centre (SARC) - provides quality, evidence based education and training opportunities on issues related to sexual assault and sexual abuse to professional workers, students and volunteers.
Turning Point Connect & Learn Webinars - presented by experienced clinicians from the alcohol and other drug sector.
- The Western Australian Association for Mental Health (WAAMH) - offers a range of courses targeted to meet specific needs of the mental health workforce, enhance the skill development of roles which relate to mental health, and educate the wider community.
- William Street Family Therapy Centre - provides family and relationship professionals with high quality hands-on training courses, workshops and supervision.
- WISDOM in Your Life – Psychological and Aboriginal ways - provides training for mental health professionals.
- Womens Health and Family Services - Training for Health Professionals - WHFS presentations, seminars, workshops and training sessions can be tailored to specific group interests and budgets. In addition WHFS offers a professional supervision and consultancy service for individual, group and organisational issues concerning women and families.
- pdf Comprehensive Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development in Western Australia - Full Report (2.71 MB) - WANADA
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network
WANADA provides information about training and workforce development through our e-newsletter FYI.