Workforce development and training opportunities for people working in the alcohol and other drug sector in Western Australia.
Upcoming Training and Workforce Development Opportunities
North Metro TAFE - Certificate IV Alcohol and Other Drugs
This qualification offers the opportunity to begin or enhance your career in the AOD sector; to supplement your existing qualification with a specialist Certificate, and/or; to formalise your existing experience in the Community Sector working with issues surrounding AOD use. The course covers all core AOD knowledge and skills from completing assessments to providing interventions.
On Campus study - NEW to TAFE in WA: Applications for full time study, at the Midland campus, in 2nd semester 2020 will be open from Wednesday 6th May 2020. Please complete and submit your full time application via our website. On campus study occurs in a supportive environment and is a great opportunity for students who want face to face time with lecturers, and interaction with fellow learners.
Employer Based Training: Employer-based training is a flexible self-paced training program offered to individuals currently working in a job role related to the qualification. Employer-based training allows you to attain a qualification without taking time off work to attend classes.
Online Study: Online study is completed over 18 months and is suited to self-motivated students who do not yet work in the sector and who have commitments that prevent them from studying on campus.
Fees: The Cert IV AOD is included in the 'Lower fees, local skills' initiative and the fees are half price until the end of 2021.
Queries and applications: Queries and applications can be sent via the North Metro TAFE website.
AODtraining@MHC - Transitioning from face-to-face to telephone counselling interventions: Issues and support for alcohol and other drug (AOD) workers
Tuesday 30 June: 1pm – 3pm
Workforce Development at the Mental Health Commission are offering a series of four, two-hour video-conferences. It is envisaged that these video conferences will enable counsellors across WA to come together to discuss some of the challenges involved in transitioning to telephone counselling, and to support each other in overcoming any obstacles faced. These online events will complement an online module from Queensland’s Insight Centre for Training and Workforce Development.
For more information please download Transitioning from face-to-face to telephone counselling interventions or contact the Workforce Development Administration Officer on 6553 0560.
360Edge - Help! I’ve Been Subpoenaed!
Presented by Paula Ross and Jarryd Bartle
Part 1 - Tuesday 7 July 2020, 9am-12pm
Part 2 - Tuesday 14 July 2020, 9am-12pm
Interactive online workshop
Cost: Earlybird $290 until 30 June 2020 | Standard $350 after 30 June 2020
This workshop is eligible for 6 hours of CPD (self-logged)
An interactive online workshop on case notes and court preparation, specifically designed to help practitioners get court ready.
NOFASD Australia - Introduction to Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
Thursday 2 July 2020
9am AWST (10.30am ACST)
NOFASD Australia is delivering its popular 2 hour Information Workshop online. This introductory workshop will provide an overview of FASD and strategies to help support individuals and their families. The course content will include:
- Description of FASD and the diagnostic process
- Impacts and challenges for individuals and families living with FASD
- Strategies for support and learning
- FASD and the NDIS
Register for the NOFASD Australia FASD Workshop at Eventbrite.
Auspire - Australia Day Council WA - Intercultural Diversity and Inclusion Workshop
Facilitated by Ms Rika Asaoka
Wednesday 22 July 2020
Cost: $59.11 - $72.83. A tax invoice is provided for tax purposes.
A two hour highly interactive online workshop to increase cultural awareness, knowledge, communication skills, and tolerance for difference.
For more information and to book, please visit Eventbrite - Auspire Intercultural Diversity and Inclusion Workshop.
AODtraining@MHC - ST340 Preventing relapse and supporting behaviour change over time
18 August 2020
9am - 4.30pm
Applications close 28 July 2020.
AODtraining@MHC - ST269: Healthy women and pregnancies – Aboriginal focus on FASD prevention in communities
19-20 August 2020
9am - 4.30pm
For more information and to register, please visit AODtraining @ MHC Healthy Women and Pregnancy.
Applications close 29 July 2020.
AODtraining@MHC - ST262 Mental State Exam
24 August 2020
9am - 4.30pm
Applications close 3 August 2020.
Curtin University Health Promotion - Planning, implementing and evaluation health promotion interventions
Commences 31 August 2020
This is a flexible 12-week online introduction to health promotion short course.
Register and pay by 10 August at Curtin University Health Promotion 12 Week Online Course.
Centre for Social Impact at UWA - Graduate Certificate in Social Impact.
Applications for the Graduate Certificate in Social Impact Trimester 3 2020 close on Sunday 16 August 2020. CSI UWA has two $5,000 scholarships available to new and continuing students completing the graduate certificate. Applications are due by midnight 14 July, 2020.
Australian Government - COVID-19 Infection Control Training
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
Access the online COVID-19 Infection Control Training. More information is also available in the Australian Government Department of Health information sheet Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for health care and residential care workers.
Make Smoking History - Smoking Cessation Brief Advice Online Training
The online courses will help staff make conversations about smoking, using the 3-step brief advice model, a regular part of their interactions with clients or patients. It will also increase their knowledge of best practice tobacco dependence treatment, and what services and resources are available to support clients or patients to reduce and quit smoking.
Everyone who works directly with clients or patients should undertake this training.
Visit Make Smoking History for more details.
SMART Recovery Australia - Online SMART Recovery Facilitator Training
Learn how to run an online SMART Recovery meeting by completing this six-hour interactive e-learning course. Part 2 of the training is a live and interactive two-hour video conference workshop that will run through simulated meeting scenarios and get you comfortable with facilitating online support groups.
Register at SMART Recovery Australia.
Murdoch University - Train the Trainer: Family-based intervention for youth alcohol and other drug use and co-occurring mental health issues in Western Australia
Murdoch University is offering free Behaviour Exchange and Systems Therapy (BEST) facilitator training for clinicians across Western Australia.
BEST is an evidence-based, 8-week, multi-family group program for parents and their young persons (12-24yo) with substance use and/or mental health issues. Previously implemented and evaluated in Victoria, BEST was effective in engaging at-risk youth who initially refused services, reducing their substance use, problem behaviours and mental health symptoms, as well as improving family functioning.
Trained facilitators will gain accreditation through a two-day workshop and supervision in implementing the program in your service.
Wild Butterfly Documentary Screenings
Nine years in the making, set in WA and meticulously researched. Wild Butterfly is a dramatized documentary that explores the trauma of childhood sexual violence and its relationship to ongoing mental health issues and drug use. It uncovers the hidden story behind a family’s tragic circumstances and opens our eyes to the impacts of social injustices and prejudices that could befall anyone.
View the Wild Butterfly trailer, find out how to host your own Wild Butterfly screening.
Australian Research Webinars
- impact2020 – free webinars for the Australian for-purpose sector from the Centre for Social Impact.
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) Resources - Webinars
- National Centre for Clinical Research on Emerging Drugs (NCCRED) Webinars
Training and Workforce Development Providers
- Anglicare WA - Professional Development Training - draws on more than 40 years’ experience as a leading service provider in the social services sector to develop and deliver quality training and professional development workshops to a range of audiences; from administration and teaching aids, to community service workers and psychologist through to lawyers and corporate groups.
- Connecting Up - Online Learning Program - designed to build the capability of the not-for-profit sector and give you the knowledge and skills you need for greater impact. Webinars, online workshops, and other learning opportunities available.
- Cracks in the Ice - This online training provides frontline workers, including peer workers, alcohol and other drug workers and clinicians, with information and resources about ice (crystal methamphetamine).
- Emerging Minds: National Workforce Centre for Child Mental Health - free training and information.
- Evolve Events - Training and Human Development - Along with their training services, they offer a complete event management service.
- Holyoake - DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training - Holyoake is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training to community and youth workers.
- Karen Hulls - Complex Trauma Training WA - deliver a range of comprehensive training programs for workers and carers who work with children, youth, adults and families who have experienced complex trauma.
- Mental Health Commission - AODtraining@MHC - provides a range of knowledge and skills-based training events on alcohol and other drugs and comorbidity. Events are free-of-charge and include induction training for new workers.
- Mental Health Commission - E-learning@MHC - online learning programs aimed at professionals employed in the AOD sector and other professional staff working to prevent AOD-related harm.
- National Comorbidity Guidelines Online Training - free, online training developed by by The Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use and funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Completion will take approximately 10 hours.
- Relationships Australia WA - Professional Development - provides training for family and community support professionals to develop specialist relationship counselling, mediation and management skills. Training is provided from basic to advanced professional competency levels.
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Assault - Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) in Western Australia e-learning package.
- Richmond Wellbeing - courses&events - provide specialist, evidence-based training in Recovery-oriented approaches and practice, corporate training courses and a number of community and cultural events within supportive and inclusive environments.
- SAFE in Oz - run workshops on working with people impacted by self-destructive behaviours.
- SMART Recovery Program Training - SMART Recovery Australia offers training in the SMART Recovery behavioural change and addiction treatment program and how to run a SMART meeting in the community or your organisation.
- Sexual Assault and Resource Centre (SARC) - provides quality, evidence based education and training opportunities on issues related to sexual assault and sexual abuse to professional workers, students and volunteers.
Turning Point Connect & Learn Webinars - presented by experienced clinicians from the alcohol and other drug sector.
- The Western Australian Association for Mental Health (WAAMH) - offers a range of courses targeted to meet specific needs of the mental health workforce, enhance the skill development of roles which relate to mental health, and educate the wider community.
- William Street Family Therapy Centre - provides family and relationship professionals with high quality hands-on training courses, workshops and supervision.
- WISDOM in Your Life – Psychological and Aboriginal ways - provides training for mental health professionals.
- Womens Health and Family Services - Training for Health Professionals - WHFS presentations, seminars, workshops and training sessions can be tailored to specific group interests and budgets. In addition WHFS offers a professional supervision and consultancy service for individual, group and organisational issues concerning women and families.
- pdf Comprehensive Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development in Western Australia - Full Report (2.71 MB) - WANADA
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network
WANADA provides information about training and workforce development through our e-newsletter FYI.