Reports and Research Into AOD Issues
Reports and research on alcohol and other drug issues.
Alcohol and other Drug Trends and Statistics
- Australia’s Annual Overdose Report 2020 - Penington Institute
- Alcohol Overview - Reports and Data - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW)
- Australian illicit drug policy timeline 1985-2019 - Drug Policy Modelling Program, UNSW and Centre for Crime Policy and Research, Flinders University
- Alcohol, tobacco & other drugs in Australia - Australian Institute of Health & Welfare (AIHW)
- Alcohol and other drug treatment services in Australia 2017–18: key findings - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Services (AODTS) in Australia 2016-17 - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Alcohol and other drug treatment services in Australia 2016–17: key findings - Australian Institute for Health and Welfare
- Cryptomarket drug listings by drug type and market - online interactive visualisation - Drugs and New Technologies (DNeT) Project - NDARC UNSW
- Drug use monitoring in Australia: Drug use among police detainees, 2018 - Australian Institute of Criminology - December 2019
- Illicit Use of Drugs Overview - Reports and Data - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program Report 5, 2018 - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
- National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program Reports - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
- Smoking Overview - Reports and Data - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW)
- WA Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) Report - covers findings from annual interviews in Perth with people who regularly inject drugs.
- Drug Trends Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at UNSW.
- Drug Trends Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at UNSW.
- Opioid, amphetamine, and cocaine-induced deaths in Australia: August 2018 - Drug Trends - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- National 2019 Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) - Drug Trends
- Trends in drug-induced deaths in Australia, 1997-2017 - Drug Trends, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Drug Trends Illicit Drug Reporting System 2019 Interview Report - Western Australia - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Drug Trends - Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System - 2019 EDRS Interview Report - Western Australia - National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Illicit Drug Data Report 2017–18 (IDDR) - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) - provides an overview of changes, as well as longer term trends.
- Report on the 2nd ACT GTM Pill Testing Pilot: a Harm Reduction Service - Pill Testing Australia - August 2019
- An alcohol ad every 35 seconds: A snapshot of how the alcohol industry is using a global pandemic as a marketing opportunity - Foundation for Alcohol and Research and Education (FARE) and Cancer Council WA - May 2020
- "The 'Instagrammability' of Pink Drinks" How alcohol is marketed to women in Australia - Alcohol Programs Team, Public Health Advocacy Institute of WA, Curtin University - November 2019.
- Harm to others from drinking: patterns in nine societies - World Health Organization, 2019
- 2019 Alcohol Poll - the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education's poll finds that less than half of Australians are aware of the link between alcohol use and mouth and throat cancer (29%) and breast cancer (16%).
- Alcohol Advertising Review Board (AARB) 2018-2019 Impact Report
- Cities of Armadale, Canning and Gosnells Alcohol Action Plan 2019-2022
- 2018 Alcohol Poll - Dangerous cocktail: Aussies uninformed and misled on alcohol-related cancer & disease links - Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) - March 2018.
- Esports and Alcohol Advertising Research Report - Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE)
- Impossible to escape: The need for stronger restrictions on the placement of alcohol marketing in Australia - Alcohol Advertising Review Board - May 2019
- Apparent Consumption of Alcohol, Australia, 2017-18 - Australian Bureau of Statistics - September 2019
- Meet the alcohol researchers featured in On the Sauce - Centre for Alcohol Policy and Research (CAPR)
- The Case for a Minimum (Floor) Pricing of Alcohol in WA - WA Alcohol and Youth Action Coalition
- WHO - Global status report on alcohol and health 2018
Ecstasy - MDMA
- Recent use of ‘capsules contents unknown’ among a sample of people who frequently use ecstasy and other illicit stimulants in Australia. Kelly, G., Bruno, R., & Peacock, A. (2019).
- National 2019 Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) - Drug Trends
- Correlates of self-reported significant adverse effects following ‘ecstasy’ use: Implications for harm reduction - Drug Trends Bulletin, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
- Inquiry into Crystal Methamphetamine (Ice) - Australian Parliamentary Joint Committee on Law Enforcement - March 2018
- Review of methamphetamine use among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
- The rise of prescription opioids and the promise of medicinal cannabis - 2019 Turning Point Symposium and Oration
- Reviewing six years of a peer-driven naloxone training program in Western Australia. Fetherston, J., Grigg, J., & Lenton, S. (2019).
- National opioid pharmacotherapy statistics annual data (NOPSAD) 2017 - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Opioid harm in Australia: and comparisons between Australia and Canada - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare - 9 November 2018.
Complexity and Capacity Building
- Close to home: young people and the impact of alcohol and drug use by family and peers - Mission Australia - August 2019
- Staying Home: A Youth Survey report on young people's experience of homelessness - Mission Australia
- The State of Homelessness in Australia's Cities - Centre for Social Impact - University of Western Australia - April 2018
- Decline in hepatitis C treatment uptake could threaten Australia’s elimination targets - The Kirby Institute.
- Missing Connections: Service user experiences of people living with hepatitis C exiting custodial settings - AIVL - July 2019
- Missing Connections: Service user experiences of people living with hepatitis C exiting custodial settings - AIVL, July 2019
- Monitoring hepatitis C treatment uptake in Australia Issue 10, June 2019 - Kirby Institute - this report summarises data on the prescription and distribution of hepatitis C treatments and provides insight into the initial phase of the roll-out of DAA therapy in Australia.
- Monitoring hepatitis C treatment uptake in Australia Issue 9, July 2018 - The Kirby Institute.
- Closing the Gap Report 2020 - Australian Government
- pdf Investing In Women's Health (942 KB) - Women's Community Health Network WA.
- Jean Hailes National Women’s Health Survey Results - Jean Hailes for Women's Health
- Joining the dots: 2018 census of the Australian health justice landscape - Health Justice Australia
- Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health status 2019 - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
- Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health status 2018 - Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet. Supporting resources include a plain-language summary and Powerpoint presentations that can be used as a teaching resource.
Stigma and Discrimination
- Don’t judge, and listen: experiences of stigma and discrimination related to problematic alcohol and other drug use - Queensland Mental Health Commission
Workforce Development and Planning
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network - April 2018
- Lowitja Institute Career Pathways Project Report and Infographic - provides insights and guidance to enhance the capacity of the health system to retain and support the development and careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
WANADA alerts the alcohol and other drug sector to new resources and reports in our e-newsletter FYI.