Yaandina Community Services is the largest local provider of community services in the Pilbara. Through integrity, respect, team work, continuous improvement and innovation the dedicated staff at Yaandina focus on the needs of each of our clients to deliver the best possible service and care.
We are currently seeking an AOD Counsellor who has relevant experience for our Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) service, based in Roebourne.
The role of the Counsellor is to ensure that the social and emotional health needs of clients and the community are met whilst working under the supervision and direction of the AOD Team Leader.
Under s50 of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 there is a genuine occupational requirement for the incumbent to be Indigenous to the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Community
You will provide support and assistance to our clients through:
- Undertaking appropriate and timely psychological assessments and intervention based on the client needs and act according to the assessment.
- Conducting psychological assessment, including personality and intellectual assessment; psychological intervention including cognitive and behavioural interventions for clients.
- Working closely with family members with high risk and complex needs to provide direct effective treatment.
- Participating in case conferencing and undertake all responsibilities as per the Mental Health care plan of clients.
- Working collaboratively and network with other agencies in the region for optimal outcomes for mutual clients.
- Refer clients appropriately to other services within and external to organisation and provide support as necessary to clients attending these services.
- Initiate, develop and implement community and client awareness conducting health promotion programs relevant to social and emotional determinants of health Selection Criteria To help us understand your background, you will be required to address the following Selection Criteria specific for this role:
Qualifications & Prior Experience:
- Possess a recognised degree in Psychology or equivalent Counselling degree and be eligible for registration with AHPRA as a full or provisional psychologist.
- Member of Australian Counselling Association and/or Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience using evidence based clinical practices and their application to treat juvenile offenders
- Knowledge of current child and family counselling and group work literature/models
- Experience in the provision of counselling to adults in the context of trauma, loss and grief.
- Experience working with marginalised young people and their families engaged in the justice system
- Experience working with the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander population and an understanding of their culture
Work Related Requirements:
- Experience working collaboratively and the demonstrated capacity to negotiate and liaise internal and external stakeholders including, Department for Communities, other agencies and the community
- Computer skills for data entry and email communication.
- Ability to lead and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team both internal and external
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently
- Knowledge of and the ability to managing risk, safety, health and compliance and ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Evidence of an up-to-date & COVID Vaccination in accordance with the current Public Health Directive, a current WA Driver’s License and a National Police Clearance are prerequisites for all positions with Yaandina Community Services.
- The Benefits:
If successful you will be rewarded with a range of benefits which include:
- An attractive salary, with salary packaging options
- Permanent full time role based in Roebourne, with flexible working hours
- Team based treatment environment with intensive collaboration and clinical supervision and consultation
- Unique culture promoting diversity and shared values
If this position appeals to you, please submit your resume along with a cover letter that addresses the key Selection Criteria.
Yaandina is committed to providing an environment of diversity and inclusion and is a strong supporter of training and professional development.